Sunday, August 16, 2009

10 Worship songs you won't hear on KLOV or Air 1

So a friend of mine compiled a list of his favorite worship tunes recently. It's a fine (if not comprehensive) list, but I noticed something. Most of the songs were were written after the late 90's, and I'm pretty sure ALL of them had gotten airtime on the local "positive and encouraging" radio stations. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Anyhoo... I was inspired to put together a list of my own favorite worship tunes that (to my knowledge) have never gotten significant radio play. I should note that I compiled this list while I should have been packing for my vacation last week, so it is by no means comprehensive. Already I've noticed omissions of some great hymns (specifically from Mars Hill's "Rain City Hymnal" but there are others). 

Ok, enough blah, blah, blah. Here's the list. What are some of your own favorites?

1. Pray Where You Are- The Lost Dogs
http://www.thelostdogs.com/lyrics/littleredridinghood/praywhereyouare.html

2. Cast Your Cares (Psalm 55:22)- Seeds Family Worship
This has been a favorite here at Casa Garcia recently. I defy you to get this song out of your head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc9pEb-Ej7U&feature=channel_page

3. Reveal Yourself- Glenn Kaiser
Little known tune from the lead singer of the Resurrection Band. From "All My Days" a worship disc focusing on small group worship.

4. In Your Eyes- Jeffery Gaines
I couldn't find the original disc from Peter Gabriel. Long been a favorite of mine. Favorite line: "In Your eyes...the resolution of all my fruitless searches".

5. Praise the Lord All Nations- Ron Kenoly
You know when Solomon completed the temple and they all started singing? I imagine it sounded a lot like this.

6. Break Our Hearts- Kevin Prosch
Taken from Joel 2, the opening line "Teach us O Lord what it really means/ to rend our hearts instead of outer things..." and continuing with the chorus "...that we might weep as Jesus wept/a fountain of tears for the wounded and lost/ whoever heard of an army O God/that conquered the earth with weeping and mourning and brokeness?" It's a great call for the church to pray for the lost instead of coming up with shiny new programs for them.

7. Oh Lord, You're Beautiful- Keith Green
Just a great song.

8. Somebody to Love- Resurrection Band
I'm not sure why this is here. I like it though. It's a really good cover.

9. For Crying Out Loud- The 77s
Again, I'm not really sure why this is here. Good song though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tou-jb8aWXk

10. Breathe Deep- The Lost Dogs
Video is a little cheesy (not endorsed by the band) but the song cuts to the heart of what worship really is, IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnaZlwme8Sw&feature=related

Plus 5 other Jesus-centric songs (also not heard on afore-mentioned stations)

1. Good Boy- Children of the Consuming Fire
No way anybody's heard this song in the last decade. trying to find a link.

2. The Outlaw- Larry Norman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGcLDv5nvM
Music from the Jesus People times! Like today, there's a lot of thoughts about who Jesus was. Thankfully, Jesus Himself had some things to say about who He is. 

3. Nothing is Beyond You- Rich Mullins
I like this song so much, it doesn't bug me that Amy Grant sings it (Mullins had died before recording it). "Nothing is beyond You, You stand beyond the reach/of our vain imaginations, our misguided pieties..." and then the song procedes to expand on the awsomeness and intimacy of Jesus. Very Psalm-y. I love it!

4. Why Don't You Look into Jesus- Larry Norman
At least 25 years ahead of his time, Larry Norman asks a pretty straight forward question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TliWDSLrYb8

5. Strength- The Alarm
Hmmm... i'm sure there's a good reason this song is here, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. So i think i will! Mullets Rock!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSN4W45rYvo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home